Sustainability Project

Professional Images




Dimensions: 15 in (w) x 59 in (h)

Reflection Statement: My first idea for this project was to thrift white fabric and use natural dyes to make patterns on the fabric. I was going to use that as the outside pattern of the board bag, but I did not have any luck finding the right type of white fabric at any thrift stores. Then I found a couple yards of this beautiful silk fabric and textured cotton. The shades of orange and blue worked perfect together. So, my idea developed and I decided to use those fabrics instead for my sustainable board bag since I could not find any thick white fabric. It ended up working out wonderfully. If I were to carry out this project a second time, I would try to find a new source for a sustainable waterproof material to go on the inside of the bag - since I never got a response. It would make the bag more functional and durable. Overall, the functionality of the bag is successful, the synch at the bottom holds the board in tight and the rails are protected. It will be a great asset to have to protect a surfboard and will look fashionable at the same time.

In Process Images


Textile mills generate one-fifth of the world's industrial water pollution. So for this project I decided to make a board bag from thrifted fabric. I found this patterned silk and textured cotton from Betty Griffin in St. Augustine, Florida. 


First, I laid out the surfboard to get an idea on how big each piece of fabric needed to be.


I then cute two identical pieces of the cotton and silk, sewed them together with a seamless stitch in the middle.


I then cute two pieces, with the same dimensions, of a white fabric that I thrifted as well. There is no label on it, but it very stretchy and is similar to viscose fabric. A material like this is perfect for the inside of a board bag.


Next, I laid out the four pieces and sewed the white fabric to the inside of the silk and cotton to create a cushion for the rails of the surfboard.


Once those were sewn together, I took the two layered pieces and sewed them together inside out to create a seamless stitch.


I also created a gap at the bottom for a string to go through in order for the board bag to tighten and close. 


I then flipped it right side out to reveal the finished product and threaded an extra piece of macrame string I had through the bottom gap.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Project

Surface Design Pattern